Food safety has always been important, but the COVID-19 crisis is making it more so. Now, the experts strongly encourage the use of reputable caterers, providing services during the COVID-19 crisis.
- In the current pandemic environment, we are providing employees with food safety training.
- We can be inspected by the Environmental Health Officer and local health inspectors.
- We have dedicated food delivery vehicles.
- Food temperature is a key to food safety, as storing foods at an appropriate temperature – that is
- 4 degrees or below – is critical to minimising the growth of pathogens.
Other best practices to consider during the COVID-19 crisis include:
- Managing staff health and personal hygiene with regular thorough washing and santising of hands, surfaces, uniforms, equipment and constant use areas.
- Use gloves to handle and serve food, but be sure to use proper protocols for glove use.
- Adhering to person to space ratios in kitchens and service areas.
- Use anti-bacterial wipes on equipment and packages before use.
- Communication with other team members, guests and personnel to be sure everyone understands sanitation and hygiene protocols.
- Cocktail & Canape events must adhere to person to space ratios including serving staff.
- Serving of canapes are neatly presented to avoid unnecessary touch.
- Buffet events must adhere to person to space ratios, including serving staff.
- Serving staff must serve food from buffets to guests.
- Managing buffets includes well spaced out serving areas and monitoring of the area to avoid overcrowding.
- Use of serving implements by serving staff.
- Formal seated events must adhere to person to space ratios including service staff.
- We do not offer crowded grazing tables.
- Where possible, we serve individual portions, individually wrapped cutlery, pre poured beverages and monitor safe clean up.
- Staff are asked not to work if they feel sick or have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Use of detergents, disinfecting and sanitation supplies
- Catering best practices for all circumstances include clean and sanitised preparation areas, equipment, platters, boxes and delivery containers.
- We supply disposable dishes if proper capabilities to wash dishes are unavailable.
- Use of commercial refrigerators and regular sanitation of refrigerators and cool rooms.
- Use ice packs, dry ice or coolers to keep food at safe temperatures.
- We keep a good relationship with our catering suppliers.
June 2020. Bernadette Kennealy, Director & Owner. Bern the Chef Pty Ltd Sydney, Australia.